Monday, November 26, 2007

Tie Die Shirts for the Color Blind?


EAST COAST EXPERIENCE
The Discipline of Discerning

I had the wonderful opportunity, over the Thanksgiving Holiday, to visit my brother in Philadelphia. I chose to drive to clear my mind and take in the scenery. It had been fifteen years since I ventured off into the wonderful highways and turnpikes of the brisk land we call the East Coast. The journey was wonderful, and it has changed my enthusiasm for life, career and the world in general.

I’m sure you don’t want to hear about my “life-altering” trip, so I’ll give you the goods you seek from me. Back in the day, when I was a student in Washington, D.C., we talked about visual literacy, and how important it was to advancing our society. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, visual literacy has to do with an individual’s ability to comprehend and relate to design elements, as they were intended by the artist, designer, architect, or creator. The crazy thing about this concept is, it took four years for me and my classmates to truly understand it, and we were sent out in the world expecting everyone else to know what the hell we were talking about.

Here we are nearly twenty years later, and the concept of visual literacy is as useful as good 90-minute cassettes for recording music. For the most part, there is always a fundamental element of visual literacy within a society or culture, which should be understood long before you decide your major in college. The real secret to this thing is having the talent to speak your own language, and having any person or any culture understand what the hell you are talking about. It takes a master to achieve this, but it takes a genius to achieve this and have them act upon what you are saying. Target marketing is just the first phase of this global thing. It’s just an opportunity for the market to understand just how little they know about the world. Eventually, there will come professionals who speak the world’s language.

No comments:

Post a Comment