Friday, March 14, 2008

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack

As I said before, I will begin focusing the content for this blog on things related to the Nashville and Tennessee area. There are some any things to discuss when it comes to marketing and branding in this area - some good and some bad. Honestly, I don't know where to begin. I've set up Google Alerts to receive mail related to this topic, and not much has come up so far. So, I will take it on my own to begin talking about a brand that has always amazed me in many ways.

In the city of Nashville, there's a restaurant called, Prince's Hot Chicken Shack, which serves up some of the best spicy chicken in town, and more importantly the country. Nowhere in the world can you find this taste, which has an appeal to almost anyone in the world. In fact before I began writing this entry, I Googled the restaurant, and received several results that were extremely positive. However, there is one amazing thing about this restaurant that breaks all the rules of the traditional brand, yet satisfies the core foundation of what a brand is all about.

To be brief, Prince's Hot Chicken operates on a stove that can manage two to three cast-iron skillets. On top of that, the main phone is a pay phone inside the store. I don't need to go into more detail for you to understand how this impact customer service and supply chain management. In summary, there's no question why everyone is in line - the chicken.

Anyway, over the years I've complained about how they would never survive on this business practice, and as you can see I'm extremely wrong about their business model. With their success, I've learned truly about the meaning of a brand. A brand is all about sticking to your guns, and keeping the lights on - whether it be neon or 60-watt bulb. In all these years, not much has changed about Prince's Chicken Shack, and because of this consistency the demand remains in constant growth. The moral to the story is that good branding and growth are not necessarily synonymous.

Here's to Prince's Hot Chicken Shack, and their example of good branding.

No comments:

Post a Comment