Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fort Lauderdale: A Different Story



This past weekend, I went to Fort Lauderdale for a quick "meditation vacation". The trip was truly worth it. I had plenty of time to relax and drop anchor for a second in my life. The one thing that helped me relax was a morning run/walk through the city. The island breeze and the scent of the ocean gave me something I don't normally experience in my daily life. As I would travel through unknown areas, I began to notice the impact the housing market truly had on the South Florida area. Long story short, there is no sign of growth - only survival. I'm not saying it is the next Rust Belt, but it made me appreciate the situation we have here in Nashville.

Nashville traditionally is a conservative town - slow to take on change, and when change does happen, it's done the "Nashville" way. In good economies, the growth is modest, and the same rule applies for bad economies. For a risk-taker such as myself, it makes for a frustrating experience, but my visit to South Florida helped me understand the downside of "riding the wave". Although I would like things to move faster in this town, I have a new appreciation for the caution I've developed as a result of being a product of this strange city.

Oh yes, I concluded from my trip that disappointment and expectation have an positive relationship when you truly analyze it.

Peace and Blessings

2 comments:

  1. It's good the you had the opportunity to see the effects of this economic shift in the housing markets. The truth is people are hurting all over as a residual fallout from not only housing but also a weak dollar, oil speculations, a costly war and a lack of a national plan of recovery. A key message that especailly men need to hear is "you are not alone". Eighty percent of male suicides are committed due to financial stress and the feeling of isolation. Men need to be encouraged to admit economic/financial/personal finance fears. Relieve your stress and confess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, but where are the fears prior to the disaster? I have a saying, "most tragedies are not tragic at all", and in most cases the saying holds true. Misfortunes are often a combination of bad practices, circumstances, and timing. Any growth beyond 10% should not be celebrated or rewarded - it should be questioned. In this country, 10% growth is for suckers, but who's really the sucker? I just wonder about the thought process before the s&^% hits the fan.

    ReplyDelete