Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Seth's Take on Legacy Costs

One of my favorite blogs/bloggers, Seth, recently posted his thoughts on legacy issues in organizations. For a few years now, I've been working on the best way to work new ideas in the presence of dominant legacy factors. Legacy issues are one of the two major problems with bureaucracies, goal displacement being the other. To be honest, I don't really know how to effectively deal with the drowning man holding on to the float that's running out of air. Honestly, I don't understanding the thinking in total. True, we all have our issues with legacy factors in our life or on our job, and maybe the situation is the equivalent to the story of Doubting Thomas.
My major fear for this nation is that we stall and stagnate the young leaders so much that when the obvious becomes apparent, it will be too late to effectively respond. After all, how many backup quarterbacks who sit the bench for years ever develop into superstars? Not many, if you are curious about the answer.

I guess I've reached a point of total frustration. Things are not quite that obvious now, but as Machiavelli wrote in The Prince, “In the beginning, problems are easy to cure but hard to diagnose; with the passage of time, having gone unrecognized and unattended, they become easy to diagnose, but hard to cure.” (1515)

I don't have the answer, and I'm not sure how to solve the problem. But, I do know it's a real problem.

Your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment