Saturday, March 31, 2012

Update and Commentary for Today

I know it has been a while since my last personal post. I've been doing way too much in life, including a bizarre trip to Ireland. I have to share my stories about my experiences there a little later this month. But overall, Ireland is a beautiful place with beautiful people. I just can't say the same for everyone that I traveled with.

On to something more interesting - global economics and politics. I had a little free time today to read this month's issue of Foreign Policy, and in my quick skimming, I ran across one of the best articles I've read in a while. It presents a series of meaningful questions about how this world actually functions, and the relationship between public and private entities. Kudos to David Rothkopf for a well-written article that caught my attention. Please let me know if you cannot identify with this brief clip from the article:

"In the United States, it is the defining political issue of the moment. Is government too big, a burden to society, and a threat to individual liberties? Or is it too ineffective a protector of average people, co-opted by big business and moneyed interests? Is it contributing to the general welfare, or is it institutionalizing inequality, serving the few -- the 1 percent -- rather than the many?


In Europe, such controversies also roil furiously but are joined by an intense argument over how much power individual countries should pass on to a collective European Union, and about whose interests are best served by such collaborative governance -- a departure from the traditional idea and role of the nation-state. Ask a German and a Greek this question, and you'll get vastly different answers. " (Rothkopf, D., 2012, Foreign Policy, pp. 46)

If any of my Ph.D. professors are reading this post, please note that I think it ties in well with the Raadschelders book, especially the discussion on the boundaries of government. It also ties into concepts of network theory and New Institutionalism (DiMaggio and Powell). Please give me your thoughts, and let me know what you found interesting about the article. If you are from one of the countries that were compared against some of the U.S. corporate giants, I would love to hear your perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment