Friday, January 25, 2013

Another Meditative Song

In college, my painting professor, Professor Smith, gave me a nickname that was the best compliment ever. I don't think he meant it to be a compliment, but I don't think it was an insult either. He coined me "nature boy", which was based on his observation of me innocently, and often ignorantly, diving into unknown and uncomfortable environments. There was no real technique with me when it came to painting; no humility to be witnessed in my work. I was merely engaging in things the best I could, finding my way eventually in the end.

Consequently, I love the song Nature Boy by Nat King Cole, which may have been influenced by this assigned nickname. I often think of that nickname, and it takes the edge off of things. I remember that in most things, I have no idea what I am doing.

The words below are to those who have found themselves in a strange and uncomfortable environment, a place of the unknown. Give yourself, your thoughts, to it fully. You will be surprised how prepared you are for the challenge.

As for this nature boy, I will see another landmark in his life soon; one that I am grateful for. The journey has been quite the experience..........quite the experience.

There was a boy
A very strange, enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far, over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way
While we spoke of many things
Fools and Kings
This he said to me

The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return
Professor Frank Smith (Painting)

Professor Starmanda Bullock (Design)

Professor Lila Asher (Drawing)

Professor Raymond Dobard (History)

Professor Edgar Sorrells-Adewale (Life Coach & 2-D Comcepts)

Professor Winnie Owens-Hart (3-D Concepts)

Professor Asher to the left

No comments:

Post a Comment